6.2.15

Small Camera with Malaysia Top Model

Few days after I got my hands on Fujifilm X-T1, I received a fashion editorial assignment, to shoot Amber Chia for a magazine cover story. A fashion icon, Malaysia top model, the first Asian model being featured in GUESS advertisement. You just don't want to screw up this assignment.

During that time, my Fujifilm gears were limited. Only X-Pro1, X-T1 and XF 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit lens and I still haven't tested my X-T1 for assignment such as this, especially when the model is Amber Chia. The order I made on XF 56mm f1.2 was still on it's way and I won't be able to get it on time for my assignment day. So the most logical way was to use my trusted Canon system for it (you would agree too, right?).


On the shooting day, Amber arrived right on schedule. Yep, not late. Not even a single bit. She is one of the friendliest celebrities cum models and talking to her was a breeze. She practically greeted everybody in the studio with a very friendly smile on her face, making everybody comfortable working with her.

During her makeup and interview session, I was busy setting up my lighting and camera equipment. Artistic director's concept was very simple: everything white with some colourful decoration on her hair and body. White hair, white outfit, with white background. It was very challenging for my lighting setup I must say.


After I have done with my lighting setup, I stared at my cameras. The big Canon and the small Fujifilm. So I paused and thought: hmm, why not use my X-T1 with 18-55mm for this shooting? Well you may say this is too risky because it is almost a suicidal move to my career such as "what if something go wrong", or "what if the images you take turn out to be useless". I took that leap (if that is what it is to you) because I know I can succeed. A real breakthrough comes with risks. So without second thought, I took out the flash trigger from 5D3 and put it into X-T1's hotshoe.


The moment Amber stepped into the backdrop, everything just came naturally. Being a top model with international standard, I can only say her performance was perfect. I didn't have to give much instruction and she always, always give her best angle to me. The synchronization of her posing with my lighting timing was just right, JUST RIGHT, as if she was dancing with the light.

Honestly I did have some uncertainties prior to the shooting (about the camera) but they were all gone soon after a few shots. The focusing speed was fast enough to keep up with Amber's pose changing frequency. X-T1 didn't disappoint me throughout the whole shooting process (woohoo!).


Many people thought the colourful splashes were photoshopped when they saw the outcome being published in the magazine. Even my fellow photographer friends also thought they were post editing.


I can firmly tell you: they were all handmade, by the very talented artistic director, Berg Lee. I have been working with Berg for endless times and I must say he is one of the most gifted artists I have ever worked with. His skillful touch, accuracy in achieving what mind intends to present, and to act and react when stumble on unforeseen on site hiccups. So why bother doing photoshop when you have someone who is capable of get it done right at the beginning?  :)


The shooting was great. We had a great wrap up with my little Fujifilm X-T1 (yay!).

Thank you Amber for the very pleasant experience. :D

Thank you Fujifilm for the assurance in my skill.

Thank you Canon for taken me in and now ready to let me fly further.

No comments: